I did the same - a yard of green cotton made two large banners - which are now 75% full! I used a branch for a campy feel and drilled two holes through it, adding some leftover ribbon to hang them. They were a hit and my Cadette sewed three for a Take Action Project - Council loved them!
Other girls have hats that weigh too much to be worn! There are a bunch of great ideas on here!
One woman (whose class I had attended) had her husband make two identical trays from two pieces of pegboard and 1x2s. These were hinged together and a latch attached. She threaded fishing line through the holes, and pinned swaps to the fishing line. Protects the swaps better. Good luck!